Friday, May 6, 2011

Just finished Simon Schama's Power of Art documentary...

   Finally finished the Simon Schama's Power of Art today. The last three installments were excellent and rather informative. The series covered eight rather influential artists, bringing them back to life- in a manner of speaking. The last three installments covered Van Gogh, Picasso, and Rothko...

I hadn't really heard about Rothko, prior to the series. And I don't always connect with a lot of the Modern art, though I couldn't tell you whether that is due to personal aesthetic taste, the fact that I've grown up in a Post-Modern world, or a little bit of both. I was surprised to find that his later work, shown in the movie, were ones that I could connect with emotionally. There was one in particular that caught my eye, near the end.
Rothko, part of his Black on Grey series
Not the best image of it, but I couldn't find a better one sadly. (It's a tad difficult finding a variety of images of his work. There's a plethora of some of his work, and barely any of other examples.)This particular painting made me think of isolation, of standing in a pool of white with nothing around for miles. Not sure why, exactly. It just did. Anyways, that's enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment